Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Cupcakes
Source: Joy of Baking cake recipe, Sprinkle Bakes original frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep: 20 minutes, total time 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup/ 113g unsalted butter
- 1 cup/ 200g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon/ 5g vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups/ 195g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon/ 1.5g baking soda
- 1/2/ 2g teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons/ 8g pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup (180ml) pumpkin puree (canned is fine)
- 1/2 cup/ 100g butterscotch baking chips roughly chopped
- 1 cup/200g butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons/ 140g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups/ 175g confectioners sugar
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture and pumpkin puree to the butter mixture, alternating in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix in chopped butterscotch chips on low speed.
- Scrape down bowl and mix again.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cakes bounce back when pressed in the center.
- For the frosting, melt butterscotch chips with 2 tablespoons (27g) butter at 30 second intervals in the microwave.
- Stir well between heating.
- Butterscotch chips will be thicker than semisweet chips when melted (even with the addition of butter), so don’t overheat or chips will scorch; just stir and mash chips together with the butter until no lumps remain.
- Combine melted butterscotch mixture and 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter in a large bowl.
- Mix on high speed with an electric hand mixer. Add confectioners sugar in two additions.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
- If mixture is too thick, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s piping consistency.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Special Thanks To Heather – SprinkleBakes For Recipe Posting & Cute Cupcake Screenshots.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (175 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 cup (110 grams) pecans or walnuts or English Toffee Bits
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the butter and beat until incorporated and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and confectioners sugar and beat until fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with toasted and chopped nuts or English Toffee Bits.
Special Thanks To JoyOfBaking/Adapted From “Baking from the Heart” by Michael J Rosen For Cream Cheese Frosting Posting.