Adapted from AllRecipes.com
- 1/3 cup Shortening
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Sweetened Cocoa Powder (Used Scharffen Berger)
- 1 tablespoon Black Coca Powder (may be omitted, but add 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder instead)
- 2 oz black food color (2 bottles)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 2/3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Distilled White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8″ round cake pans with baking spray or extra shortening.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition until egg has fully incorporated and mixture is again light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, make a paste of the cocoa powders and food coloring. Add this to the creamed mixture in the bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- In a measuring jug, mix salt, vanilla extract and buttermilk. In a small bowl, measure out flour, and whisk it well to aerate.
- Alternate adding the buttermilk mixture and whisked flour to the creamed mixture until all are incorporated well.
- Measure out baking soda in a bowl, and then add vinegar – be prepared that this will foam up a bit.
- Immediately add it to cake batter, folding it in with a rubber spatula. Do NOT mix with an electric or stand mixer after adding the vinegar-soda mixture.
- Pour batter in equal parts into each pan, and bake for approximately 22-25 minutes, checking often after 22 minutes for a toothpick to remove cleanly when inserted into the center of each cake.
- Allow to cool completely.
Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
- (2) 3.4 oz boxes Butterscotch Pudding
- 4 cups cold Milk (or as directed on pudding box instructions)
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 20 drops yellow food coloring
- Pour butterscotch pudding mix, food coloring and four cups of cold milk into a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk for for approximately 4 minutes, until pudding starts to thicken and you have reached desired color (add more of whichever color you think you need to reach the shade you want now).
- Place in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, or until ready to assemble the trifle.
Fresh Whipped Cream Recipe
Note: If don’t want fresh…..cool whip works great.
Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons White Sugar
Whipped Cream Directions
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with an electric or stand mixer until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Refrigerate any unused portion in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Preparing Black Velvet Trifle
- Break cooled cakes into large chunks either by hand or by chopping with a knife – 1″x 1″ or chunks are fine. Mix in approximately 1 cup of candy corn, using a fork to distribute.
- Spoon well chilled butterscotch pudding directly on top of cake, smoothing with a spoon or spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- Just before serving, spoon freshly whipped and sweetened cream directly on top of pudding and garnish with more candy corn.
Special Thanks To Amber – BlueBonnetBaker For Recipe Posting & Image Screenshots.