Original Go To Vanilla Layer Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter — softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs — room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and lightly flour three 9×2 inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. NOTE: Easy M&M cake baked with two 8-inch layers. Dome formed on top sawed off to make the cakes perfectly flat on top. (Tip: Sandwich leftover frosting between the 2 cake domes to make an 8-inch whoopie pie for dessert).
- In mixing bowl, using medium speed of electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the milk and vanilla together -do not add just yet.
- Combine both of the flours and add in two parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla mixture, beating well after each addition. *Do not overbeat, if you do, the cake will not be light and fluffy.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- When cake has cooled, ice between layers, then ice top and sides of cake.
- If you’re making cupcakes, line 2 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers. Spoon the batter into the cups about 3/4 full. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20-22 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
Adapted from Buttercup Bakeshop Cookbook.
Classic Vanilla Buttercream FrostingAuthor: Savory Sweet LifeMakes: 2.5 cupsIngredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
- 3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
Note: For Easy M&M Cake, use 5 to 5 1/2 cups of powdered sugar & don’t sift per Heather Sheire/livinthepielife.com. Used a pretty red ribbon to tie around the ouside the outside of the cake to sure the Kit Kats in place.Instructions
- Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes.
- If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar.
- If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.
Special Thanks To LivinThePieLife For Recipe Posting & Image Screenshots.
Watch This Great Video On Piping Beautiful Frosting Flowers Using The Classic Vanilla Buttercream Icing From Above On Cupcakes.