Chocolate Mini Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes
Around Easter, I start looking for those sweet treats. I mean Cadbury creme eggs. A chocolate egg filled with white and yellow fondant filling. Looks like the chicken egg yolk but much sweeter. These Chocolate Mini Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes contain these rich, sweet eggs in the middle.
The homemade cupcake recipe listed below is easy to make and beautiful. However, if you need a shortcut or are afraid to bake from scratch……use a 1 (18.25 oz) package of devil’s food cake mix and 1 (3.4 oz) package of instant chocolate pudding mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup vegetable oil, 4 eggs, & 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 18-22 minutes or until cupcake springs back (don’t forget to place your frozen mini egg in the middle of the batter before baking). This shortcut recipe makes 24 cupcakes. So double the icing recipe listed below & follow item numbers 8-11.
“Recent Visitors Visited These Sweet Treat Recipes”
You can’t get any better than a mini Cadbury creme egg in the center of the cupcake. Can you imagine that first bite into a chocolate gooey filling? I can…………. (My kids love Cadbury eggs…….so I have to hide them.)
Chocolate Mini Cadbury Creme Egg Cupcakes Recipe
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 2/3 cup (150g) of caster sugar
- 2/3 cup (150g) of unsalted softened butter (room temperature)
- 3 medium whole eggs
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) of self-raising flour (self-rising)
- 1/4 cup (30g) of powdered cocoa (Green & Blacks or Hersheys)
- 12 Mini Cadbury Creme Eggs
- 3/4 cup (175g) of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 3/4 cups (350g) of powdered sugar or icing sugar
- Egg yellow gel food colouring
- 1/2 cup (75g) of dark chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons of boiling water
- 12 brown paper cupcake liners
- 2D Piping nozzle
- 2 x Disposable piping bags
- Freeze your mini Creme Eggs for a couple of hours, or overnight.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Beat the caster sugar and butter until light and pale.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract (mixture will look curdled).
- Mix in the flour and cocoa by hand with a spoon or spatula.
- Scoop batter into paper liners 2/3 full. Place a frozen Mini Cadbury Creme Egg into the middle of each cupcake. Use a spatula to spread the batter over the egg.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until they are slightly bouncy to the touch.
- While cupcakes are cooking, make your buttercream icing. Beat butter until pale, light & fluffy.
- Beat in your icing sugar followed by a teaspoon or two of boiling water to soften and lighten the texture of the buttercream.
- Remove 1/2 of the icing from the mixing bowl and dye it using Egg Yellow colour.
- Assemble your piping bag with your 2D nozzle into a piping bag. Spoon white buttercream & yellow icing into bag next to each other. Make a practice squeeze with the two-tone icing. Then pipe swirls onto your cakes.
- Melt your chocolate chips & cool slightly. Pop into a disposable piping bag, snip 2 – 3mm off the end of the bag and use it to drizzle your cooled chocolate in squiggles over the top.
Adapted from Taming Twins.
Note: A zip-lock bag will work for the dripping of melted chocolate onto the top. Cut a small corner off the bag for drizzling.