Ultimate Chocolate Cupcake
Never can get enough chocolate. These cupcakes are out of this world! Chocolate! Chocolate! Chocolate! Sprinkle more chocolate on top with mini chocolate chips.
The cupcake is made out of chocolate then you add a thin layer of chocolate gaunche and top it off with chocolate buttercream icing. Then decorate your cupcakes with miniature chocolate chips sprinkled on top. Definitely gonna lick the bowl with these.
Recommend having a large glass of sweet milk or vanilla ice cream to go with it. Your going to need something to chase it down. I always like something sweet then something salty on the side. Salted peanuts, crackers, or chips (just a few) to get the rich taste out of my mouth. Of course, you might want a second one after you eat something salty.
Read recipe and directions below for chocolate lover’s delight!
Recipe makes 28 cupcakes and cooking time is 18 to 22 minutes depending on your oven.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Chocolate buttercream frosting (double the recipe for a high-top frosting swirl):
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted & cooled to room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips for decorating (optional – suggest Hershey)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Stir sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, & salt in a bowl (preferably stand mixer-can use a hand mixer)
- Add eggs, milk, oil & vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute until batter smooth. Slowly mix in boiling water into batter till smooth (don’t over mix).
- Fill lined muffin tin with batter 1/2 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean). Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- After cupcakes cooled, make frosting. Beat the butter on medium speed until light & fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add powdered sugar gradually until smooth (about 3-4 minutes). Mix vanilla. Slowly drizzle melted chocolate (cooled) & continue to mix on medium speed until smooth & creamy.
- For chocolate gaunche, heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbles around edge/or melt in microwave (watch for burning). Pour cream over chocolate chips in a bowl. Let stand for 30 seconds, stir til chocolate melts (about 1-2 minutes).
- Spoon small amount of gaunche onto cupcake center. Let gaunche sit on cupcake till firms up (about 5 minutes). Pipe frosting on top of gaunche. May sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
Credit: Cupcake recipe from Hershey’s/twopeasandtheirpod.com
Special Thanks To Maria & Josh (TwoPeasAndTheirPod.com) For Recipe Posting. All Image Screenshots Came From Post.